Thursday, January 21, 2021

The nights of tears and smile.

Last night, around midnight, I drove to DC to stop by at Lincoln Memorial (one of my favorite spots in DC) to reflect on my past year and let all past year experiences to sink in.  

What was not shown in yesterday cameras was a heavy police and national guard presence everywhere... And I mean EVERYWHERE. Even after midnight, every street and alley that would lead to the heart of the town, was blocked by heavy armor vehicles to not let anyone get close to the central monuments, Capitol, and White House...   

By everything that has happened last Wednesday, these scenes made lots of sense... Yet, I found myself shivering crazy in cold sweat... The blocked streets, and heavy presence of "Federal Democracy Defenders" brought up back all my 2009 memories... When in Iran we tried hard to change our country in a democratic process, but our election got stolen from us... And heavy police presence and bloodshed after it, made everything even worse...  

I guess you'd never know, when and what something triggers which traumatic nerves of who... I left the downtown crying. Smiling and crying. Not many people in the US know how privileged we are to have a healthy democracy. And how precious our republic is. In some countries it takes centuries and many put their lives on the line to have glimpses of what we take for granted here...  

Let's be hopeful. And let's work hard, to keep and grow into what we dear in our hearts...

No comments:

Post a Comment